Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Open Source Pre-Rotator Project Description

fisher paykel washing machine motor

Occasionally I like to check back on this thread to see if it has made any progress. Seems to have been quiet since May. Let's see if some discussion can be coaxed back into it. Winter is a great time for inventing.

fisher paykel washing machine motor

Some years ago I ran across an article talking about converting a Fisher Paykel type washing machine motor into a generator. That was my first intro to these motors. Though I've not done any physical experimenting I had always thought that a flat large diameter motor like this could possibly replace a ring gear on the rotorhead. The Stator (stationary) part could be mounted to the lower half of the the head and a custom Rotor (containing the magnets) could replace the ring gear.

There are many youtube videos about changing out the magnets for powerful Neodymium magnets and rewinding for more power. Still, I suppose it would not have enough torque and mechanical leverage for what most of us are looking for. It would though eliminate the need for a bendix and other mechanical linkage of any kind. It could also be use in regenerative mode to act as a rotor brake, at least to some degree.

Google the title line above. These Stators are readily available new and used.

One burning question is, "how many HP does it take to spin a set of 30' blades to 200 rpm". Looking forward to learning the answer as this would be the beginning of an engineered solution.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails washingMachineMotor.JPG  

Brock
    Like the idea of a using a pancake motor. It all about torque for electric motors, James L Judge and I have been hashing out hp requirements for a jump style prerotator, see this thread "Jump Rotorhead Dynamics" Most of these pancake motor conversion sites don't give much information or a torque-RPM hp curve. Would like to see one. Washing machines are in the 1/4 to 1/2 hp range. You would need much more to get a rotor up to 200 RPM.

Ed L.

Seems I recall on one of the youtube video's where they had changed the magnets and rewound with larger wire they had calculated 2 HP. Still, probably need around 10HP. Now with a Jump style RH dumping the drag of the blades would make a huge difference. Perhaps that's a branch of studdy that should be explored - blades with a de-pitching mechanism. By dropping the pitch we might be fine with just 12 volts. That would simplify things.

I'll look for that Jump Rotorhead thread.

PRA Secretary JOHN ROUNTREE 41449's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Good news, PRA is sponsoring San Diego University senior class with our pre-rotator project.
    We are well on our way.

Here are some pictures of the team at the hangar and at school lab with some of the drawings.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20181023_152521.jpg   20180923_130245.jpg   20181023_153435.jpg   20181023_153632.jpg  
    PRA- Director
    PRA- Volunteer Coordinator

PRA31 - Vice President of S.D. Rotorcraft Club
    http://www.Pra31.org

U.S. Agent for Aviomania Aircraft... the most stable gyroplane on the market today.
    See: Aviomania USA http://www.AviomaniaUSA.com

OEM Dealer for MGL Avionics - glass cockpit EFIS for Experimental aircraft Ask about DISCOUNTS for PRA MEMBERS

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234