View Poll Results: Hold the convention Before or After Oshkosh?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Before 7/18 - 22/2017

1 3.85%
  • After 8/1 - 8/5/2017

22 84.62%
  • Do not care either date works

3 11.54%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Poll: Convention schedule before or after Oshkosh 7/24 - 7/30 2017

PRA Secretary JOHN ROUNTREE 41449's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Bump to the top!
    PRA- Director
    PRA- Volunteer Coordinator

PRA31 - Vice President of S.D. Rotorcraft Club
    http://www.Pra31.org

U.S. Agent for Aviomania Aircraft... the most stable gyroplane on the market today.
    See: Aviomania USA http://www.AviomaniaUSA.com

OEM Dealer for MGL Avionics - glass cockpit EFIS for Experimental aircraft Ask about DISCOUNTS for PRA MEMBERS

Thanks for the poll John!
    As you know I am pulling for AFTER Oshkosh..

I feel differently than others about the banquet however.. Yes, storms have played havoc in the past, but the chance of having another big storm cell pass during the banquet is still slim.
    Having the banquet off site seems to disrupt the flow of things. (Even though air conditioning is nice) When the banquet is at the field, the people go from hanging out around the machines, campsites....Meander over to the tent for the nice dinner/ presentation, and then hang out for however long, or migrate back to the hangar/ machines......It just makes sense to me. (and worth the risk of bad weather)
    Question: Could the tents be placed slightly closer to the flight line to make better use of them during the day? (McGowan's tent is nice, but gets crowded quickly!)
    My .02
    Denis
    Last edited by DENIS SCHOEMAKER 36955; 09-06-2016 at 07:04 AM.

Blog Entries
    Hi Dennis
    I wish I could get over 50 votes as that was the number that voted at the banquet dinner.
    My fear is most do not care what date it is and they have not voted.
    Currently the BOD has to justify over riding the vote of those who actually show up at last years banquet dinner with less that 1/2 the voters letting us know what they want.

I'm trying to get the BOD to change it to after is only for you and about 1/3 of the vendors who do attend.

Yes if we have the funding we will buy or rent more tents and place them on the flight line.

One way you could assure we have funding is to buy raffle tickets the sells are less than any other charity that I've ever done this for in the past and may not even fund the prize.
    PRA- Director

U.S. Agent for Aviomania Aircraft... the most stable gyroplane on the market today.

OEM Dealer for MGL Avionics - glass cockpit EFIS for Experimental aircraft Ask about DISCOUNTS for PRA MEMBERS

I liked the church, no bugs, no storms. The AC at the church wasn't functioning very well (only slightly better than our classroom AC) MAYBE it could have been set higher as I heard they claimed to lose money when we were there. I believe we had (tried to have) THE BANQUET in the hangar one year. we seemed to have enough room........ just no food. (supposedly, a clerical error)

We have also had the banquet 15 and 25 miles away. We had a car pool and it worked out fine, great attendance at both locations (we filled the place SRO in Rochester). Amish Acres (number one attraction in Indiana) served us the best possible, family style food. A waitress strike made service poor, but they tried. The next year it was fixed. we had such a crowd booked, most of the waitresses called in sick the first year.

One year, the chamber of commerce (county) gave us hourly school buses to Warsaw for lodging and shopping. We could probably suggest it to Amish Acres and they could probably make it happen.

Just a thought or two. The recent comment about old guys that don't want to work has some merit when it comes to post hole digging, but doing advance work is what makes a big, great convention....... and brings Vendors and participants back. (or you can have 4 people do all the work and shrink the convention down to a local fly-in.)
    Last edited by Tom Milton 13418; 09-13-2016 at 03:59 PM.

John,
    Understood. I'll assume the date will remain as is, and I will start planning to attend in 2018.
    One thing I ask, it would be very nice if the dates for the 2018 convention (whenever they might be) could be decided upon and announced no later than the 2017 convention. ( I'm sure the Oshkosh dates are set years in advance)
    It is getting to be a very populated world out there, and the necessity to book events/ vacations over a year in advance is not uncommon at all these days. Give people more time to plan, and you will have better turn-outs.

I also under the frustration trying to get people to reply to a poll or such unless they're sitting right in front of you..frustrating indeed.
    But I'll repeat, and hope you understand, I feel a show of hands of ONLY the people that were able to attend an event AT THAT GIVEN TIME and NOT being able to see the preferences of ANY of those NOT able to attend AT THAT GIVEN TIME is a little biased and maybe not the the voting system.

I thank you again for all you do John!
    A mostly thankless and tough job I'm sure.

Denis

Blog Entries
    Dennis we agree with you.
    From now on it will be the week after... unless the members at the banquet dinner vote to have it before. Only the vote will include 3 choices. 1) Don't care, 2(Before, 3)After.

Thank for the voice of our members and insight it is really appreciated!!!
    PRA- Director

Thanks John,
    But I think you missed my point.
    Please do not have a vote AT ALL during the banquet!
    It gives a completely skewed and biased opinion, as shown in the above.
    It's like asking for a preference of Democrats or republicans while at a democratic convention!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12